Monday, March 9, 2009

Do I make any cents? ...I mean sense

So when there is something to be done I typically see just one way of doing it. Not that I have anything against doing it another way. Sometimes I just don't explore the options.

Illustration:

This past week I was at Wendy's grabbing a quick .99 (There is no cent mark???) value burger. I didn't want to break out the debit card for $1.08 meal. So I frantically go through my car and purse looking for the correct change.

I come up with 3 quarters, four dimes, 1 nickel and 3 pennies.

Perfect!

I loved that I had 3 pennies because that meant that I didn't have to get back any pennies.

So I gave my cashier my three quarters. Then I thought "ok, I still need .25 to complete the dollar." So I throw in 2 dimes and the nickel. Then I just needed .08. So I throw in the 3 pennies and another dime. I thought that would be perfect because then I would only get a nickel back. I gave the money to the cashier.

She comes back and says that I must have given her an extra nickel. I say back to her "Oh no, I gave you that much to you because I wanted to get a nickel back. Because I didn't want to get any pennies back."

She gives me a quizzical look and hands me back the nickel.

Then I have my Ah Ha moment.

I was so focused on not getting any pennies back that I overlooked that I actually gave her extra nickel.

Whoops!

2 comments: